Click here for Blogger tutorials, premade templates, free blog templates and custom blog designs »

Monday, July 30, 2007

4th of July (belated)


Yeah, so it's a little past the 4th, but I wanted to put up some pictures, and these are the most recent pictures we have! We celebrated American Independence at our little apartment in Chambery as it stormed and rained outside. Kirsten actually walked in the house drenched and had to change clothes!

We ate watermelon, pasta salad, hamburgers, and, of course, 4th of July flag cake (thanks to those who have sent yummy white cake mixes and frostings!!) and brownies. We had a blast with the help of some great decorations sent by my wonderful mom (and Target, oh, how we miss you!). We got the sweet star tablecloth, the Happy 4th banner, plates and napkins, and, all importantly, THE FLAG (none of us had one)!

After playing some fun games and eating cake, we ended our evening with fireworks...well, actually it was a 10-minute long video of an award-winning fireworks show from Malta that we found on the internet. But, hey, what are you going to do when no one around you really feels like shooting off fireworks to celebrate the big day? We did laugh, wondering if all of our future 4th of July's would be spent sitting in front of the computer screen in our huts in Chad! (yikes!) Actually, we have a lot of fun celebrating holidays here. It helps to remind us of home and it's a fun excuse to have a party and get to hang out with all of our friends. We've been so thankful for all of our friends since we've been here in Chambery. We couldn't do it without them!



Friends (l-r): Sue, Julie, Emily and David, Margit, Kathleen, Kirsten, Rachael, Rob, Cate holding Ben, David, and me in the front.


3 comments:

Amy A. said...

Hi Karen. I sent you an email the other day but i got an email saying it didn't go through. Just checking to see if i need to try to resend it to another email address. Hope you had a great day.
Amy

Martha said...

Hi Karen! That looks like so much fun! The cake turned out beautifully! Good work! I've been following your blog and praying for you although we haven't met in person. I am an old friend of Kristen's! I so enjoy the updates!

Anonymous said...

That cake looks awesome...I've always wanted to make one, but intimidation always wins over...I'm envious of Karen's cooking prowess.

Happy 4th!!